Marshfield Clinic is a private group medical practice in Wisconsin and one of the largest in the United States. The clinic strives to serve patients through accessible, high quality health care, research and education. The Marshfield Clinic Health System encompasses several entities spanning insurance, medical research, laboratory testing, and information systems.
Rather than a project, I like to think of marshfieldclinic.org as more of a “process”. The improvements to the public-facing site began with a completely redesigned website in 2013. This release was carried out by an external vendor but since then, much of the recent developments have been carried out by the internal web team. (With significantly better outcomes) Development is by support from Marshfield Clinic Information Systems to build the proposed solutions on Sharepoint 2013.
One of the primary site goals is to allow users to easily find a doctor. To meet this need, the external vendor determined the primary navigation would contain a direct link to access physician profiles. The issue was that many users did not seem to be utilizing the doctor profile search the way it was developed to be used and site traffic shows significant drop-off and site exits from the doctor search results pages.
Re-design the doctors searching experience to allow patients to easily find, categorize and request appointments with doctors
I lead the UX and visual design for a new doctors landing page hero configuration, search experience and physician profile design. I mocked up, presented and spec’d out the final deliverables to our development team and performed usability testing and follow up after the launches of each stage in this process. I worked alongside the web team and my staff in Creative Services. I relied on their input heavily when considering layout and user process flows.
• On the doctors landing page, we saw that many users were trying to search by name (often incorrectly) and were not getting accurate results returned. To answer, we incorporated a type-ahead functionality to the search field to aid in suggestion. Furthermore we added a browse box where users could casually search by a letter to begin their journey. Our persona research identify that some users explore the doctors on staff out of mere curiosity and are on a low level of commitment. The browse feature has shown to account for approx. 1/3 of initial doctor searches since it’s launch.
• The search results page was not mobile friendly and we took several measures to ensure that the filtering options were alway accessible regardless of device type. Naming conventions and CSS changes were made to give filters a sense of hierarchy and employed collapsable menus to push the primary information to the top of the page on mobile.
• Like the search results, the doctor profile was not friendly on mobile device and we saw that those physicians with incomplete bios, were driving significantly let hits than their detailed colleagues. The initial site implementation by the vendor did not account for varying levels of content relating to doctor info. Now , thanks to reorganizing of content based on primary goals, a profile appears balanced, and presents key contact information to the user as well as a constant call to action (make an appointment) at all device widths.
On mobile, the appointment button borrows from concepts in app design and the button is always fixed at the bottom of the screen with options to direct call and complete a web form.
Request Appointment update from legacy server: https://www.marshfieldclinic.org/appointments
Physician landing page, search results and profile: https://www.marshfieldclinic.org/Doctors
Optimize homepage to include continuous Adobe Target experience and display key tasks to mobile users.